5 veteran journalists have been named the newest recipients of the McGraw Fellowship for Enterprise Journalism. Every of the successful initiatives will obtain a grant of as much as $15,000.
The brand new McGraw Fellows will discover topics starting from the position of personal fairness in well being care and the way forward for oil improvement in Alaska, to the impression of gentrification on the long-standing Haitian-American neighborhood in Florida.
The McGraw Fellowships, an initiative of the Harold W. McGraw, Jr. Middle for Enterprise Journalism on the Craig Newmark Graduate College of Journalism on the Metropolis College of New York, had been created in 2014 to help bold protection of vital points associated to the worldwide economic system, finance and enterprise. The Fellowships – awarded twice a yr – allow skilled journalists to provide deeply reported investigative or enterprise tales.
The brand new McGraw Fellows for Summer time ’22 are:
- Dieu-Nalio Chery: A contract Haitian photojournalist now based mostly in New York Metropolis, Chery plans to doc the gentrification going down in Florida’s Little Haiti neighborhood and the challenges confronted by neighborhood members working to guard the distinctive tradition that has developed there. By means of a photograph essay with intensive textual content, he’ll look at the financial and racial forces which can be driving this gentrification.
Chery started his journalism profession in 2004 as a contract information photographer with native company Alerte Haiti earlier than becoming a member of the Related Press as a photojournalist in 2010. A finalist for the 2020 Pulitzer Prize in breaking information images, Chery was awarded the Robert Capa Gold Medal from the Abroad Press Membership in 2019 for his pictures overlaying the political disaster, violent upheaval, and human rights abuses in Haiti. Chery’s work has additionally been acknowledged by Footage of the Yr Worldwide, Better of Photojournalism, and the Atlanta Photojournalism seminar. He was a Magnum Basis Human Rights fellow in 2015. A lot of his photos have turn into iconic data of Haiti within the twenty first century. He presently works as a contract photographer for The New York Instances, Reuters, and The Related Press.
- Nithin Coca: An unbiased Indian-American journalist who splits his time between Tokyo and Oakland, CA, Coca will report on the potential social and environmental impacts of rising demand for high-risk tropical elements utilized in plant-based meat merchandise.
Coca focuses on longform and investigative reporting on cross-border points, significantly in Asia. He has finished in-depth reporting on local weather, surroundings, and provide chains throughout the area for shops together with Monetary Instances, Mongabay, Ensia, Yale E360, China Dialogue, The Nation and Engadget. Coca acquired his BA in Communication from the College of Southern California, and a Masters in Worldwide Affairs from Columbia College.
- Lois Parshley: A contract investigative journalist, Parshley will discover the way forward for American oil and fuel improvement and its regulation in Alaska.
Parshley’s wide-ranging reporting on science and geopolitics has been revealed in The New York Instances, Harper’s Journal, The Atlantic, Nationwide Geographic, Bloomberg Businessweek, and Wired, amongst others. She was a finalist in 2022 for the American Society of Journal Editors’ Public Curiosity award and has received quite a few different awards for her work, together with the Mirror Award for excellence in media trade reporting, and the Bricker Award for Science Writing in Medication for her career-long protection of well being inequities.
- Anita Raghavan: A contract monetary journalist, Raghavan will report on the intersection of personal fairness and healthcare.
A former European bureau chief for Forbes whose work has appeared in The New York Instances, The Data, The Los Angeles Instances, HuffPost and CNN.com, Raghavan additionally spent practically twenty years at The Wall Avenue Journal, the place she received awards from the Abroad Press Membership and the New York Press Membership for her enterprise reporting. She is the creator of a critically-acclaimed e-book, “The Billionaire’s Apprentice: The Rise of the Indian-American Elite and the Fall of the Galleon Hedge Fund,” which chronicles the autumn of the three-time chairman of consulting agency McKinsey & Co. following costs of insider buying and selling. The e-book was named one of many “100 Notable Books of 2013” by The New York Instances.
- Dan Weissmann: The founder and host of An Arm and a Leg, a preferred podcast about the price of well being care produced in partnership with Kaiser Well being Information, Weissmann will examine the gamers behind the wave of lawsuits that hospitals have filed in opposition to indigent sufferers over unpaid payments.
Previous to creating An Arm and a Leg in 2018, Weissmann was a employees reporter for public radio’s Market and Chicago’s WBEZ. His reporting has appeared on Planet Cash, Reveal, 99 % Invisible, Code Change, Latino USA, and NPR’s information exhibits Morning Version and All Issues Thought-about.
Roughly 90 journalists engaged on tales throughout big selection of topics utilized for the newest spherical of the McGraw Fellowships. Every successful challenge receives funding as much as $15,000. Along with monetary backing, the McGraw Middle offers Fellows with editorial steerage and help in putting tales with media shops.