- China is popping to governments in Tanzania, South Sudan, and different World South nations to fend off worldwide criticism over its human rights insurance policies in Xinjiang. The therapy of Uyghur Muslims was the primary focus this week on the UN Human Rights Council after Excessive Commissioner Michelle Bachelet informed the council she had been blocked from touring to Xinjiang to research well-documented accounts of human rights violations. Tanzania, in response to CGTN, rallied to Beijing’s protection, commenting: “Xinjiang points are China’s inner affairs and exterior forces shouldn’t intervene.”(CGTN)
- The U.S. contractor Bechtel rejected Kenya’s proposal to construct the $2.7 billion Nairobi to Mombasa Expressway utilizing the identical toll-based mannequin that China Highway and Bridge Company goes to make use of with the brand new Nairobi Expressway. Quite than a public-private partnership that may relieve Nairobi of borrowing extra money to fund the undertaking, Bechtel as a substitute desires a typical government-financed contract to construct the 473km freeway, in response to parliamentary paperwork. (PULSE KENYA)
- Rumors are buzzing that Chinese language ride-hailing large Didi Chuxing is making ready to enter the Nigerian market. The corporate lately posted a job advert to recruit a Driver Middle Supervisor in Lagos and mentioned within the description that the function would assist the corporate “help the profitable launch.” A Didi debut in Nigeria would make it the corporate’s second market in Africa after it launched in South Africa earlier this 12 months. (TECHNEXT)
- The worldwide credit score rankings company Moody’s gave an enormous endorsement of Angola’s financial administration with a rankings improve. Moody’s on Tuesday credited Angola’s improved political and financial governance, debt administration, and better oil costs for the increase from B3 from Caa1. China is Angola’s largest creditor, with an estimated $20 billion of excellent money owed on its books. (BLOOMBERG)
- Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari is asking on the Senate to approve $4 billion of latest overseas loans, together with some from the China Exim Financial institution, to construct infrastructure. The brand new lenders additionally contains Normal Chartered Financial institution who Abuja has indicated might finance a pair of latest railways after Chinese language collectors seemingly withdrew. Nigeria’s complete debt now quantities to $87 billion with roughly $3.4 billion borrowed from China. (REUTERS)
- A coalition of 35 environmental NGOs from Asia, Africa, and Europe known as on Financial institution of China (BoC) Chairman Liu Liange to halt all financing of coal energy vegetation world wide and help renewable power as a substitute. The group submitted its demand in a letter on Tuesday within the hope that the BoC head will finish the financial institution’s coal lending. Since 2015, the BoC is the world’s largest financier of coal energy tasks with $35 billion dedicated to tasks principally in Belt and Highway nations. The Financial institution of China didn’t touch upon the letter. (REUTERS)
- The worth of aluminum on the London Metals Trade surged to 13-year excessive following orders by the Chinese language authorities for home smelters to restrict output in addition to ongoing uncertainty in Guinea, one of many world’s largest bauxite producers. Guinea’s coup leaders have stored the mines open and so they’re all working easily, however merchants are anxious nonetheless. Plus, increased electrical energy costs in China additionally compelled factories to chop again manufacturing, serving to to push aluminum previous the $3,000-per-ton threshold in Monday buying and selling. (REUTERS)
- A consortium led by German conglomerate Siemens received a €4.5 billion contract to construct Egypt’s new excessive pace railway. Siemens outbid each Chinese language and French opponents to construct the brand new rail line that may go from Ain Sukhna on the Crimson Sea to the Mediterranean port metropolis of Marsa Matruh. CEO Roland Busch thanks Chancellor Angela Merkel for her help and mentioned a government-backed mortgage assure was important to the German firm’s profitable bid. (DER SPIEGEL)
- Kenya’s Principal Secretary for Labor Peter Tum is coming underneath mounting stress from parliament over his refusal to pay a Chinese language contractor $1.9 million for constructing the Hazina Commerce Centre in Nairobi. Tum was known as to testify earlier than lawmakers on Friday however he didn’t present up with out clarification. Now the fee goes up as the corporate, China Jiangxi, has filed a $2.2 million declare for delayed fee. The minister has to this point refused to remark publicly on the case and why he’s refused to situation fee. (BUSINESS DAILY)
- The military-led junta in Guinea appointed Brigadier Normal M’Mahawa Sylla as the brand new governor of the capital Conakry. Sylla has ties to China’s Folks’s Liberation Military from her time spent learning on the Nationwide Protection College in Beijing. The brand new governor refused to remark about what her priorities might be in her new publish. (RADIO FRANCE INTERNATIONALE — in French)
- New regulatory filings reveal that the China Highway and Bridge Company (CRBC) elevated the price of the Nairobi Expressway by $69 million. Initially, CRBC listed the development price at $599 million however, with out clarification, lately submitted a revised price range to the federal government for $668 million. The expressway is being constructed as a public-private partnership, so the priority is that increased building charges will end in increased toll fares for the general public. (DAILY NATION)
- Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo led a groundbreaking ceremony on Friday for a brand new Chinese language-funded enlargement of the medical college within the southern metropolis of Ho. The $68 million undertaking to construct new lecture rooms, libraries, and labs is being funded by China Support. Apparently, and considerably randomly, the President’s speech on the occasion additionally emphasised his authorities’s dedication to the One China Coverage. “We aren’t deviating and we is not going to deviate from the One China Coverage,” he informed attendees that additionally included Ambassador Lu Kun.(GHANA NEWS AGENCY)
- Get a every day e-mail full of the newest
China-Africa information and evaluation.
- Learn unique insights on the important thing tendencies
shaping China-Africa relations.
- Join with main professionals on the China-
Africa Consultants Community.