Article content material
NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION TO UNITED STATES NEWSWIRE SERVICES OR FOR DISSEMINATION IN THE UNITED STATES
TORONTO — Sherritt Worldwide Company (“Sherritt”) (TSX: S) at present launched its 2020 Sustainability Report, outlining the Firm’s latest efficiency on environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues and upgraded targets and commitments, together with attaining net-zero emissions by 2050.
“Sherritt has an extended and constructive monitor document of sustainable actions within the communities through which we function,” stated Leon Binedell, President and CEO of Sherritt Worldwide. “We prolonged this efficiency in 2020 by making progress on numerous our ESG commitments, together with attaining zero fatalities at our operations and implementing further well being and security measures to guard staff at our operations from COVID-19. We plan to increase this momentum by means of numerous upgraded ESG targets within the close to and longer phrases as effectively by means of the position our nickel and cobalt merchandise and Applied sciences capabilities will play in lowering carbon emissions within the years forward.”
Article content material
Sherritt’s 2020 Sustainability highlights embody:
- Skilled zero work-related fatalities at our operations and in our native communities.
- Continued peer-leading reductions in harm charges, with a Complete Recordable Incident Frequency Fee (TRIFR) lower of 49% and a Misplaced Time Incident Frequency Fee (LTIFR) lower of 63% over three years.
- Maintained secure and full manufacturing regardless of the COVID-19 pandemic by using a necessary workforce as permitted by native public well being steering.
- Applied numerous further well being and security measures designed to guard staff, contractors, suppliers and different stakeholders at our operations from COVID-19.
- Generated greater than $500 million in financial advantages for host communities and nations.
- Sherritt’s group investments have been aligned with native priorities. Donations in-kind consisted of things resembling refrigeration tools for instructional and public well being centres, street upkeep tools, and tools to extend potable water provide.
- Accomplished a conflict-affected and high-risk areas (CAHRA) evaluation based mostly on OECD steering that concluded that Sherritt, its subsidiaries, and the Moa Joint Enterprise don’t supply from, produce in, or transit by means of CAHRAs. This evaluation was independently validated.
- Signed the BlackNorth Initiative Pledge.
- Skilled no safety incidents involving allegations of human rights abuses at any of Sherritt’s operations.
Sherritt’s upgraded ESG Targets embody:
- Attaining web carbon neutrality by 2050.
- Making certain that 36% of staff are feminine by 2030, doubling the overall from 2019.
- Decreasing general greenhouse fuel (GHG) emissions depth by 10% by 2030.
- Producing 15% of our general power wants by means of renewable sources by 2030.
- Aligning 100% of our group investments with native priorities by 2024.
Sherritt’s 2020 Sustainability Report, which was ready in accordance with the International Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) Requirements and with the Sustainability Accounting Requirements Board (SASB) Metals and Mining Normal, is offered on-line at http://sustainability.sherritt.com.
Sherritt is a world chief within the mining and refining of nickel and cobalt – metals important for the rising adoption of electrical autos. Its Applied sciences Group creates progressive, proprietary options for oil and mining firms all over the world to enhance environmental efficiency and improve financial worth. Sherritt can be the most important impartial power producer in Cuba. Sherritt’s widespread shares are listed on the Toronto Inventory Alternate beneath the image “S”.
Joe Racanelli, Director of Investor Relations
E mail: email@example.com
Phone: (416) 935-2457